In Siemens nx motion simulation, to create gear animation we will use gear coupler command. It uses to define the relative rotational motion between two joints.
Where do I find it?
Menu: Insert -> Coupler -> gear coupler.
Home tab: Coupler group -> joint coupler drop-down -> gear coupler.
How to create gear animation?
As the define, to use rack and pinion joint, you have to have two revolute joint. For this tutorial, I will make gear animation like this picture below.
1. Define motion body for two gears.
2. Take a joint for two gear. Gear -> revolute joint.
3. Click gear coupler icon. The gear coupler dialog will appear.
In the gear coupler dialog, select joint in the first joint is active. Select the first joint in the graphics window and type the gear radius in the gear radius box. Repeat it for second gear.
4. Click OK to finish gear couple joint.
5. You can set drive for first gear or second gear. Double click on the revolute joint 1 or 2 in the motion navigator and select drive. Select polynomial option in the rotation list. Set 5 degrees/s at velocity box. click OK for set drive.
5. See the mechanism animation.
+ From the results tab, click the play button to see animation,
+ From analysis tab, click animation button, click play to see animation. In the setting group, you can change animation delay and play mode.
With a Gear:
+ Both joints must have a common base link.
+ The gear Ratio is the radius of the gear geometry associated with the first joint over the radius of the geometry for the second joint.
+ Contact between gear teeth and gear reaction forces are not captured.